IO-Link in maintenance and repair
With IO-Link the last meter between the field level of automation and the sensor/actuator level becomes communication-capable. This means that in addition to the process variables, information about identification, parameters and the status of the device can also be sent . Now you have information available for avoiding replacement with the wrong device model. The parameters for the actuators and sensors can be stored in the controller and automatically transferred when the unit is replaced. No programming device is required.
IO-Link reduces maintenance costs while increasing equipment uptime
IO-Link devices can provide information about their basic status. For example, the increasing contamination level of an optical sensor can be reported and maintenance requested. Downtimes are consistently avoided. Instead of unnecessarily frequent preventive maintenance, service is need-based.
- Replacement of sensors and actuators having parameters only possible using special programming device or in situ on the unit itself.
- Simple diagnostics possible on additional cable lines.
- Mix-up of model types not detected, since the devices cannot be identified by the host system
- Only preventive maintenance possible.
- No early warning for compromised operation possible.
- Failure of digital sensors or actuators not generally detected.
- Often a need for different models due to differing measuring ranges and function variants.
- Parameter settings can be stored in the host automation system and automatically downloaded when the device is exchanged. No system documentation or expert knowledge are required.
- Conveniently run diagnostics information is sent over the same line as the process data.
- Devices can be identified and replaced with no risk of inserting the wrong type.
- Status- and need-based maintenance is possible
- Information functions about the operating status are possible. Supports need-based maintenance.
- Monitoring of communication and diagnostics indicate availability
- Spare parts inventory costs are reduced thanks to parameter setting capability.