Goal of the community is to develop and market IO-Link as a technology. The IO-Link Community works as a Committee C IO-Link (C) organized within the Profibus Nutzerorganisation e.V. (PNO). The IO-Link interface is in principle to be seen as being independent of the fieldbus systems of the PNO (PROFIBUS and PROFINET).
Membership in the IO-Link Community requires the submission of an application to the IO-Link Support Center, which is located at the PNO, and written acceptance of the supplementary rules. As an IO-Link member you enjoy, in particular, the right to participate in all working groups, early access to all documents and use of the IO-Link patents of member companies as well as free logo use. To bring individual products to the market, there is also the option to acquire a license without becoming a member. Please contact the IO-Link Support Center for this.
Integration into any co-existing bus systems is expressly desired by the IO-Link Community and is actively supported and can therefore be carried out directly through the initiative of the various user organizations.
The most important membership conditions:
- A requirement for membership in the IO-Link Community is membership in the PNO e.V. or an associated organization in another country. Irrespective of that, a written acknowledgment of the IO-Link Community rules is required for acceptance (to be obtained from the IO-Link Support Center). (to be obtained from the IO-Link Community Support Center located at Haid-und-Neu-Str. 7, 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany, email@example.com).
Rights granted by membership:
- Full access to all IO-Link specifications, including work status, fieldbus integration etc.
- The right to world-wide marketing of products with the IO-Link figurative marks, as long as the products comply with the specification of IO-Link and are tested according to the test specification using the test tools released by the IO-Link Community (vendor self certification).
- The option of working together in technical organizations of the community and the introduction of requirements for expansion and modification of the specifications (via change request through the work server).
- Participation in decision making regarding the direction the technology takes (right to make recommendations).
- Participation in common marketing activities.
- Joint use of patents for IO-Link approved by the member companies.
This represents an excerpt of the supplementary rules. The complete contract text is available in the download area of the IO-Link web page: www.io-link.com